August 27, 2006

More Course Critiques from our 2006 class:

Thank you for your time and energy. You gave me some good and interesting information. Constructive feedback:
-Class introduction: can be shortened to one hour and then either start part of a
lesson plan or tour the grounds with weather permitting. The 30 questions was a
very good idea but now I'd like to see if I'm any better and focus on those things
I still don't know.
- Tools and garden focal points were my favourite classes.
- History of soil was my least favourite because my focus is not on how soil came
about in this area but just what it is and how to deal with it I am hoping the
hands on experience will help me understand how to better care for my flowers and
shrubs
Thank you for your time and energy.

******
This is a difficult task, since I had no expectations other than to learn more about gardening.
It has not been like any other course I've taken - no text book, no exam, and little interaction between "student's". So, let's begin with what I liked about it. Good time frame - 2hours every other Saturday. Shouldn't infringe on anyone's schedule, especially during those dreary early months of the year. Sometimes I got the feeling it should go on longer, so if the interest is there, why not go on - anyone who wants to leave is free to do so.

The content was good. Gardening is of cours a huge subject, but, the basics were covered with a sprinkling of the novel or different perspective. I particularly liked the information on latin plant names and history and the lesson on mathmatics - creating garden beds, as these were new to me.
You are of course, a very entertaining speaker Alan, despite the odd participant nodding off (I'm sure they had their reasons) but it would be nice to have a bit more in class discussion. Sometimes, interesting comments were made that could have been explored.
I was somewhat disappointed that personal gardening questions were not addressed. I think many of us came to the class hoping to improve our own back yards, while much of the commentary referred specifically to the Brampton Fair Grounds. I realize that owing to the connection with Peel Horticultural Society the course would necessarily lean in that direction, but going back to the first class we were all asked what we hoped to get out of the course and my impression was most people were thinking of their own gardens.
If you were looking to add something to the content a few more "visuals" would be nice. The Classification of names book and specimen pages were a nice touch. Perhaps some pre-drawn layouts and a slide projector to show pictures of various garden beds and plans. I do feel it has been time well spent and certainly good value for money - though I'm sure you will be seeking your pound of flesh in the coming months.
Thank you for giving me a new perspective on gardening. By the way, I think you should drop the weed-out taste test - you made us all very nervous!

********
Location - Facilities
- very good
Content
- overall very good
- excellent value for the price (Ha, Ha, Ha!)
- couple of lectures slow
- maybe show a film on botanical names history instead (is there one?)
- any chance of some handouts - 1 page per session maybe? (for us note takers)
that would add to cost though
Course time / Duration (2-4 Sat afternoons)
-good - 2 hours gives you enough time to cover the material but does not take
away the whole afternoon
-time worked fine for me - earlier in the day might have also been good - 10-12
possibly but not everyone is a morning person - are they?

********

No comments: