September 20, 2006

Course Critiques 2006:
First, I would like to thank you for the time and effort you put into the preparation of these classes. I enjoyed the classes with the visuals the most.
I can now throw out a lot of useless tools that have been collecting dust in the garage.
I found the class on the composition of soil and the properties that make for proper drainage very useful. I will never be able to look at a bottle of Round up again without thinking of you. What I was looking for in the course was more information on how to improve the appearance of my garden. It is a relatively new yard and I am still struggling with the "bones". The last class where you discussed focal points and having different ones from different entrances and windows was helpful.
I have never tried to root cuttings or started plants from seeds in the house. I would like to have known more about this.
When I go into a plant nursery I sometimes find the selection very overwhelming and often leave without buying anything. I refuse to go home with a tray of the same old annuals that everyone else is buying, year after year.
I would like to have known specific plants that do well in our climate, where to plant, how to have colour in the garden from spring to fall, common diseases and pests and how to control them, how to bring bulbs and plants in for winter and what to do with the plants that are left out, how to prune, how to force plants to flower, etc. The class you taught on how many plants you need to buy for a certain square foot area is fine if you are in the business of planting large areas but I would rather have known which plants would look best based on height, flowers, foliage, etc. Maybe you could do a class where everyone has an open discussion on specific topics that the individuals in the class would like addressed. Maybe everyone could submit a topic or question at the beginning of the course and if it is not covered in the duration of the course, it could possibly be open for discussion near the end.
Overall, I found the course interesting and maybe a lot of the questions, I have will be addressed when we are putting in our volunteer hours in the gardens at the fairgrounds.

******

Overall, the facts learned were invaluable. It made me cringe at the thought of all the errors I had been making over a course of 20 years …. Now I will be gardening with a new eye. As a matter of fact, in my daily like I am newly aware of great loam in the forests where I walk my dogs… I loathe contrators who are raising new developments faster than bunnies multiply. I will forever be armed with a secret pair of scissors, ready to lop off a cutting when no one is looking …. Thank god this is anonymous!!
However, Alan, there are a few things that I feel should be highlighted. The lessons in chemistry and soil are crucial to an over all understanding, but it was tough for a lot of us to stay awake. The presentation was extrememly "dry". You need to liven those two subjects up. Nothing beats an overhead projector with pictures, especially of surrounding areas or pre-historical drawings of what Peel Regions used to look like.

Some of the subjects which I had hoped you would touch upon were:
* overwintering tips
* starting from seed (I know this was in your last column, but I would have liked it
earlier)
* propagation tips
* division tips
* companion planting
* pruning how to
* strictly veggies class
* irrigation how to
* critter control
* last but not least, I felt you should make reading your column obligatory ….
Discuss it in class would have been beneficial as well
Overall, well done, but there is always room for new stuff!!!

******

Classes were interesting but many did not seem to pertain to the average home garden. While many of the topics discussed could be converted to the home garden subjects seemed to be more oriented to the Brampton Fairground gardens.
I believe the classes would benefit by discussing some relevant topics for the average home gardener and then using techniques at the fairgrounds, we could put preach to practice.
Some relevant topics could include:
topdressing existing flowerbeds
seedlings - propagation, lighting requirements, etc.
root cutting - preparation, proper time to take them, plant selection
I realize this is more an individual thing but something should be said.

The quiz was interesting and I'm sure you found it informative but the class I think would benefit from knowing if they improved there knowledge by having maybe another one closer to the end of the courses.
The course with Bienz chart, Wisconsin Glacier etc. Was interesting but too long. If you had hand outs for the class this could speed things up a bit leaving room for discussion or open topics. (emailnig the Bienz chart and other relevant information would not cut into your funds)
The class discussing senses and various veiwpoints was very interesting however the
mathematics although important I believe was more suited to large scale properties (estates, upper class homes, Brampton Fairgrounds) and therefore of no real menaing to the average gardener . This could have been shortened considerably. An open class where everyone can come with a question, would help answer some questions
not discussed in your classes. (Have everyone email there questions to you so you can prepare your response and discuss the questions at the next class leaving room for discussion.)
Overall, this course was very enlightening and you were a very entertaining speaker. I look forward to working in the gardens. Thank you for making the cold months a lot warmer.

No comments: