May 25, 2007

Update from Alan

A very late update this week because I’ve been waiting ‘til I see a pile of sand delivered before I say any more. When I arrived at the garden this morning There it was in the front parking lot, finally!
Now that we have the material we can get the new shrub bed built in the wedding garden and amend the soil in the display beds around the main building. Several people have asked how to build a flower bed without digging so this weekend will be a opportunity to see it done.
There was quit a decent turn-out for the long weekend and, with no sand for the display beds, all the effort was directed to bringing on the nursery beds. All the tomato beds are now ready for planting, the ‘Three Sisters’ plot is laid out and most of the vegetable beds in block B are ready for planting. For the next two or three weeks planting will be the main priority.
Almost all the potatoes are now showing through the ground and this morning I started ‘earthing-up’ the ‘Russian Blue’s. The second plating of radish has germinated and most of the carrots are quite clearly visible in the raised box beds.
This weekend I’ll be available morning and afternoon 10 - 12am and 2 - 4pm Saturday and Sunday. I’m hoping that the tractor will be available to do a lot of the sand moving but if anyone can bring an extra wheelbarrow it is bound to be useful for the final distribution. As for other tools, a spade and a shovel will help. As usual please try to let me know that you are coming - even if it’s only half an hour before you leave. If nobody answers I’ve likely already left but if nobody calls I might not go myself.

No comments: