Update from Alan
Sunday saw this year’s first delivery of produce to the Knight’s Table. I took 20 kg of freshly dug ‘Norland’ potatoes. Compared to previous years, the cooler wetter weather has put the harvest back by two to maybe four weeks. One lone cherry tomato has ripened - I ate it - but although there is plenty of fruit on the vines, the rest of the crop is still green and hard as wood. If all the fruit matures and doesn’t split there is the makings of a bumper crop eventually. The onions are coming on and filling out and, over the past week, the squash vines have taken off like a B.C. wild-fire.
In the nursery garden the main effort has been directed at clearing the towering weeds in blocks A and B. Block B is now looking almost respectable and the eastern end of block A is slowly yielding to what almost amounts to logging. At 8 - 10 feet tall some of the thistles are quite majestic.
I’ve been at the fairground rather fewer hours over the past couple of weeks while I try to get my own garden organized. The lawn has been re-sodded and on Friday I finally got the pelargoniums and dahlias planted. Spring planting in August!
One of the things I need for the garden renovation is a particular sort of red wine glass - see picture. I bought some at the Value Village store a couple of weeks ago, at fifty cents a piece, but I need several more. They were as common as weeds a few years ago, but, now that I want them...?? If anyone has seen any recently I will appreciate the lead.

Whatever state the back yard is in at the time, this year’s soiree will be on Thursday 27 August, nine days from today. Like last year, the social evening will be an opportunity for volunteers to catch up with people not seen since the last class in April. Plan to arrive around 8p.m. when the sun is starting to fade and the glow of the garden lights is beginning to take over. Please bring nothing - except maybe a designated driver. (Last year there was enough left over for the Knight’s Table the following morning.) If you are able to come, RSVP so the comestibles can be kept in proportion.
If you can help at the fairgrounds this Saturday and/or Sunday afternoon - nominally 2pm to 4 pm - please phone me around 8 a.m. on the day so I can plan for who is coming.
High Temperature:
Actual: 23°C sun and cloud showers .50mm Wind SW17km/h P.O.P.50%
Average: 25°C
Record: 34°C in 1947
Low Temperature:
Actual: 17°C partly cloudy Wind NW17km/h P.O.P.30%
Average: 14°C
Record: 6°C in 1954

No comments:
Post a Comment