Saintpaulia
I was absolutely horrified this morning when three pieces of a trailing saintpaulia fell off after I moved it so it could be watered and go through a weekly check up. I have had this particular one for two years and never had any issues. I was about to toss the pieces, but, as I tend to rescue everything thought there must be some way of getting new plants from these bits. Upon investigating I found very little on propagating from pieces. I have done it from leaf cuttings with alot of success so decided I would treat the stems like leaves.
After cutting off lower level leaves to give me a bit of a trunk I cut the trunk on an angle, covered it with rooting hormone and placed the pieces into damp potting soil (mix of sand, perlite and potting mix)then covered them with the tops of juice bottles, creating a small greenhouse. If this works I will have three new already large trailing violets (elle gardener). Crossing my fingers.
High Temperature:
Actual: -9°C feels -12 cloudy Wind NNW16km/h P.O.P.40%
Average: -1°C
Record: 14°C in 2008
Low Temperature:
Actual: -12°C -20 cloudy Wind N20km/h P.O.P.19%
Average: -9°C
Record: -26°C in 1940
January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment