August 13, 2011

Brian and I arrived at 10:30am at the nursery to a cloudy sky and a cool breeze. We weeded and destroyed a wasps nest in one of the composters. I wanted to put some landscape fabric down and get some wood chips over that for the walkways between the peony beds. We managed to finish two rows and start on a third.
Alan arrived to mow the driveways. Ingrid arrived at 1pm and after a few minutes of orientation she was put to work. At 1:30pm she was weeding the onion beds.

Rule #1 Remember when weeding to put your bottom on a seat.
Rule #2 Use your fork, pushing it into the ground beside the weed and tilt to push the weed up.
The first few rows are covered with straw and very easy to weed for the most part.

Brian and I slipped away to get a bite to eat and at 2pm returned to help Ingrid with the weeding. When we arrived she had moved over several rows and upon some discussion discovered that she had been moved over because she wasn't putting her lessons to practice. She had been standing in the paths and pulling weeds. While we were discussing this I was doing exactly what she was told not to. I was just finishing up and preparing to move over to where she was when Alan popped over said "That's not the right way to do it." He had finished the mowing and asked that we lock up and then he was gone.


Ingrid and I weeding one of the onion rows


The soil on the uncovered beds is very hard and unforgiving. It was very hard to push the fork into the ground and after an hour it was painfully obvious that we could not keep this up for long. We managed to put in another hour and by 4pm decided to call it a day.

High Temperature:
Actual: 21°C sun & cloud
Average: 26°C
Record: 36°C in 1947

Low Temperature:
Actual: 11°C mostly cloudy
Average: 14°C
Record: 7°C in 1941

No comments: