April 23, 2010

Wonderful morning to be at the garden. Phyllis was up in her patch planting some veggies and checking on her rhubarb. After Alan and I arrived (10am) and Phyllis and I got caught up she packed it up and headed to the Wedding Garden to do some weeding. Renato arrived right behind us and Alan had him start digging a trench on the lower end of Block F. I headed to the raised bins and started clearing the area for tomorrow. We will use this area for potting up some canna lilies. Bob arrived a little while later and helped Renato with the trench. I also cleaned up all the pegs, pots, and bits around the potting shed placing them in the shed or the composter. I stacked all the hose and wooden stakes along the back of the potting shed.

After the trench was dug the men headed over to a new area that we will be planting some Helianthus maximilianii taken from the building garden. Alan collected three of the plants and Renato and Bob planted them after Alan gave them some instruction on splitting and planting. We had to plant these a couple of inches above ground because the mulch will make up the difference in height. Alan and Bob finished this task up and Renato headed over to Block D and started planting some of the onions that Alan has been growing.

I headed over to Block B and removed some of the dead debris from rows 2,3 and 4 and watered the peony trial beds and herb bed. Raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb and lovage have all come back and the mulch really helped over the winter. We all packed up and left around 1:15pm.

See you all tomorrow and Happy Gardening!!

High Temperature:
Actual: 9°C mostly sunny Wind SSE11km/h P.O.P.0%
Average: 13°C
Record: 27°C in 2001

Low Temperature:
Actual: -5°C partly cloudy Wind N9km/h P.O.P.0%
Average: 3°C
Record: -5°C in 1938

No comments: